Read more about the transformation of Bethesda UMC and Haw Creek Commons in the Fall 2017 edition of Duke University's Divinity Magazine:
Haw Creek Commons
Haw Creek Commons (HCC) is a common space located in East Asheville. We understand the importance of community and are dedicated to providing a container to create it. We observe that most of us build community around our work, our passions and recreation, our food, and our family.
We practice this philosophy: we can do more together than alone.
Whether you're a creative/maker looking for studio space, an entrepreneur or remote worker looking for a kinetic work environment, a gardener or teacher looking to grow and share, or a curious neighbor, we would love to have you.
We offer indoor and outdoor expressive spaces.
Our indoor space looks like...
- coworking office space for up to twenty individuals at a time (coming soon)
- rentable meeting spaces
- community commercial kitchen (coming soon)
- studio art space (coming soon)
- community wood-working shop
- textile shop
- ceramic shop (coming soon)
- retreat space (hosts up to twenty, sleeps up to nine)
- yoga, dance, exercise space
- performance stage (coming soon)
Our outdoor space looks like...
- community garden space (community share of vegetables and manna food bank donation)
- bee hives, also home of haw creek bee club
- food forest and orchard space along perimeter of property
- edible, medicinal, native plant educational corridor
- educational and community gathering space
- greenhouse and seed starting facilities
- playground and natural playground space
We are powered by Missional Wisdom Foundation and located on Bethesda United Methodist church grounds as an example of an adaptive reuse of a historic space.